On 25 November 2020, RIPE Atlas will celebrate its 10-year anniversary! For this special event, RIPE Atlas plans to bring together two of our favourite things: getting more people involved in RIPE Atlas, and bringing out the collaborative hackathon spirit.
So what’s the plan? Adding 10×10 software probes over 10 hours.
RIPE Atlas is “a global network of thousands of probes that measure Internet connectivity and reachability in real time”. Most of the vantage points are physical devices: probes and ‘anchors’. This year we have introduced ‘software probes’ that you can install yourself, at home, on any (compatible) device you have.
RIPE NCC has been organizing interactive, group-energized, mutual-learning, multidisciplinary, face-to-face events called hackathons since 2014. But COVID-19 has pushed the team to change things up for this event. We’re counting on you to be our virtual co-hosts as we, in effect, run a global distributed deployathon in your living rooms, with the same goal: deploying RIPE Atlas software probes!
You can participate in one of three roles: as a participant who wants to host a probe, a mentor, or as a visitor.
The goals of this virtual hackathon are:
- To encourage new (potential) RIPE Atlas hosts to install software probes
- To provide step-by-step help for participants
- To allow experienced probe hosts to offer mentorship to others
- To facilitate human connections (online) between RIPE Atlas users
- To offer guidance, answers and tips from the RIPE Atlas developer team and other experts/RIPE Atlas ambassadors
- To collect feedback on the installation process, measurements, software, and RIPE Atlas architecture — feature requests, bug reports, wishlist…
- To have fun while working together!
Date: Wednesday, 25 November 2020
Time: 09:00 — 18:00 (UTC +1) 3x one-hour session in English (in time-zones suitable for Asia, Europe/Africa and the Americas)
Asia session: 16:00 (UTC +8)
‘East’ session in Russian
‘West’ session in Spanish
Place: Cyberspace (Zoom, Slack, GitHub)
The Challenge: Deploying RIPE Atlas software probes
For more information on the event, including the requirements for various types of participant, check out the RIPE Labs deployathon page.
This post has been adapted from the RIPE Labs deployathon page.
Vesna Manojlovic is a Senior Community Builder at RIPE NCC, with a focus on organizing hackathons.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.