ICANN 57 was held in Hyderabad, India, from 3 to 9 November. It was ICANN’s first meeting since the IANA stewardship transition, the establishment of the PTI and major revisions to the ICANN Bylaws.
Over 3,140 people checked in to the event, making it the largest ICANN public meeting ever, and the one with the greatest local participation (outside of the USA). APNIC staff and Address Supporting Organisation (ASO) Address Council members attended and participated at the event.
— ICANN (@ICANN) November 8, 2016
- Paul Wilson spoke, on behalf of the NRO, as the only community representative at the opening ceremony alongside Indian ministers and officials. Paul also co-chaired the public meeting of the ASO and ICANN Board.
- Pablo Hinojosa attended the Internet Governance public session, which discussed the IANA stewardship transition and the next Internet Governance Forum.
- Sunny Chendi followed a series of sessions concerning the Internet industry in India, co-organized by APNIC Executive Council (EC) Member, Rajesh Chharia.
- Paul participated in a public session about the establishment of a new working group on “gTLD Auction Proceeds”, which will determine how those funds can be distributed fairly and usefully by ICANN, in support of Internet development.
- APNIC staff attended APAC Space – a regular session on ICANN issues in the Asia Pacific region.
— Fiona Aw (@fiona_awyx) November 8, 2016
- Paul, Pablo and Sunny participated in many other meetings during the ICANN 57 week, including with:
- GAC members from Australia, China and New Zealand, as well as with the GAC Secretariat. (At ICANN 57, a GAC representative from China, Mr. Guo Feng, was elected as Vice-Chair of the GAC.)
- Members of the names community including APTLD, the DotAsia registry, AUDA, and InternetNZ.
- IDRC representative, Phet Sayo, regarding future support of the ISIF program.
- The newly elected ASO/AC member, Brajesh Jain, about the ASO AC history and activities.
- Netnod staff to discuss potential cooperation opportunities for deploying root servers in 2017.
- ICANN staff to discuss the coming ASO Review, ICANN’s research “Identifier Technology Health Indicators”, outcomes of the recent ITU/WTSA conference, and other regional collaboration and cooperative activities.
- DotAsia, ICANN and ISOC to discuss coordination of sponsorship and fellowship requests in 2017 and also the next location of the APrIGF meeting.
- Paul also met with ICANN Chairman of the Board, Steve Crocker, and the new CEO, Göran Marby.
- Before ICANN 57, Sunny presented at the inaugural India School on Internet Governance (inSIG), held from 31 October to 2 November.
— Ihtisham Khalid (@ihtisham425) November 1, 2016
At this meeting, Maemura Akinori, former Chairman of the APNIC EC, was elected to the ICANN Board, replacing another former APNIC EC member, Kuo Wei Wu.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.