Around 2,395 delegates from 130 countries attended the recent ICANN meeting, ICANN 54, held in Dublin, Ireland from 18 to 22 October 2015.
While the IANA stewardship transition and ICANN accountability improvements were again the central topics of the meeting, a range of other technical and Internet business issues were covered across the meeting’s 370+ sessions.
(For a detailed report on the discussions around the IANA stewardship transition and ICANN accountability at ICANN 54, read Paul Wilson’s post).
APNIC activities at ICANN 54 included:
- Paul Wilson, as a member of the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG), participated in three ICG meetings, with Craig Ng attending as an observer on behalf of the CRISP team
- Geoff Huston, as a member of the IANA Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), participated in SSAC meetings (here and here) during the week, as well as the ICANN “tech day” and Technical Experts Group meeting
- APNIC staff and ASO AC representatives attended the ICANN Board meeting with the NRO/ASO . Topics included the IANA stewardship transition and the draft Service Level Agreement between the IANA Numbering Services Operator and the five RIRs
- APNIC staff participated in a informal meeting between the NRO and IANA staff to discuss ICANN feedback on the draft SLA
- APNIC staff participated in the ICANN APAC Space discussion session on topics including universal acceptance and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
- RIR staff met with the ICANN Global Strategic Engagement (GSE) team – which includes Adiel Akplogan as ICANN’s Vice President for Technical Community Engagement – for a regular update of organizational activities
- Paul participated in NRO Executive Council meetings on Sunday and Monday, which focused mainly on IANA transition issues
- Pablo Hinojosa attended a meeting of the NRO’s Public Affairs Coordination Group (PACG) to plan upcoming IGF and WSIS+10 activities
- Craig participated in several meetings with RIR lawyers to discuss legal issues related to the IANA stewardship transition
- APNIC staff attended the IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation session on proposed transition implementation activities and projected timelines; and the Internet Governance Public session, covering latest developments on the WSIS+10 Review and IGF, including the latest draft UN Resolution
- Other meetings with organizations including KISA (Korea), MIIT and CAC (China), TWNIC and NIIEPA (Taiwan), ISOC, ICANN, DotAsia, and IDA Singapore.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.