APNIC fees will increase for all account holders from 2025, following resolutions made by the Executive Council (EC) in Kyoto, Japan, on 10 September 2023.
As announced in December 2022, the EC has continued to consider APNIC’s sustainability in the current economic environment. In May 2023, the EC established a Fee Review Sub-committee to consider various options for long term fee reform.
The committee’s recommendations were adopted by the EC, with the aim to address:
- Ongoing impacts of inflation on APNIC expenses
- Increasing costs of governance, compliance, and legal actions to protect APNIC and the RIR system
- A commitment to deliver a balanced budget over the long term
- The need for Members to have fee certainty for the coming years.
Importantly, there will be no changes to Member fees until 1 January 2025, providing Members with time to accommodate these changes.
Specifically, the APNIC Fee Schedules will be updated for both Members and Non-Members as follows (for IPv4 and IPv6 address holdings):
- From 1 January 2025:
- The Base Fee will increase by 4.75%, to AUD 1,236 for Members and AUD 1,421 for Non-Members
- The Bit Factor will increase to 1.315
- From 1 January 2026:
- The Base Fee will increase by 4.75%, to AUD 1,295 for Members and AUD 1,488 for Non-Members
- The Bit Factor will increase to 1.320
- From 1 January 2027:
- The Base Fee will increase by 4.75%, to AUD 1,356 for Members and AUD 1,559 for Non-Members
- The Bit Factor will increase to 1.325
- From 1 January 2028, the Base Fee will increase by 4.75% on 1 January each year, unless otherwise determined by the APNIC EC.
Fees for Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) are being introduced. From 1 January 2025, each Member, Non-Member, and NIR Member sub-account will be entitled to two ASNs free of charge, with all additional ASNs held subject to an ongoing annual fee of AUD 100. New ASN allocations (in excess of the two free ASNs) will attract an AUD 500 allocation fee from 1 January 2025.
Account holders from UN-defined Least Developed Countries (LDCs) will continue to receive a 50% discount on these published fees.
Updated Fee Schedules and Fee Calculators for Members and Non-Members will be made available in the coming weeks. The current Fee Schedule, which includes information on how APNIC fees are calculated, is available. If you have questions in the meantime, please contact the APNIC Helpdesk.
The APNIC EC thanks all Members and account holders for their continued support of APNIC.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.