ICANN 53 was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina from 21-25 June 2015. The IANA Stewardship Transition was the central topic of the meeting, alongside a range of other technical and Internet business issues.
The meeting was preceded by two days of meetings of the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG), attended by Paul Wilson and CRISP team member, Craig Ng, to undertake a pre-assessment CWG names proposal; plan a combined proposal assessment; discuss proposal finalization, public comment period and implementation time frames; and synchronize with CCWG-Accountability work.
ICANN 53 also featured an opening ceremony speech from India’s Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Ravi Shankar Prasad, who announced India’s support for the multistakeholder model of Internet governance.
APNIC activities at ICANN 53 included:
- Paul and APNIC EC Chair, Maemura Akinori, met with NTIA Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information and Administrator, Larry Strickling, to discuss the IANA Stewardship Transition
- Staff attended IANA Stewardship Transition / Enhancing ICANN Accountability Information Session, where Paul Wilson proposed for the IANA Transition to potentially occur in stages
- Progress was made in developing a second version of the CRISP Service Level Agreement (SLA) by the legal team of RIRs, including views from the community made during the public comment period that finished 14 June.
- Paul and APNIC staff attended the CCWG-Accountability Meeting with the ICANN Board; APRALO Monthly Meeting; Joint meeting of GAC and ICANN Board; and ASO / NRO session with ICANN Board
- Geoff Huston participated remotely in a number of sessions at ICANN 53, including the SSAC meeting
- Staff attended NRO Executive Council, NRO Public Affairs Coordination Group and NRO Communication Coordination Group meetings, discussing RIR coordination, preparations for IGF 2015, and the IANA Stewardship Transition process
- Siena Perry attended meetings with communications representatives from ICANN, ISOC and the RIRs to share information on upcoming activities
- Staff attended the SO/AC High Interest Topic Session; Internet Coordinate Update Session; IPv6 BCP; SSAC Public Meeting; ICANN Public Forum; ICANN Public Board Meeting and GAC meetings
- APNIC staff met with Yu-Chuang Kuek, ICANN vice president and managing director, Asia Pacific; David Conrad, ICANN Chief Technology Officer; Jordan Carter, Chief Executive of Internet NZ and CCWG member; Bill Drake regarding WSIS +10 review process; and delegates from China, India, New Zealand, Singapore, Australia and other stakeholders from Asia Pacific
Scroll through the photos below.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.