APNIC Director General Paul Wilson attended LACNIC 23 in Lima, Peru, from 18 to 22 May 2015. The Peruvian Scientific Network (RCP), administrator of Dot Pe (.pe), hosted the meeting. As usual, the LACNIC event was held alongside the annual meeting of LACTLD, the Association of Latin American and Caribbean ccTLDs. The LACSEC Security Forum, Latin American IPv6 Forum (FLIP 6), and LAX-IX meetings were also held in parallel, within the LACNIC23 programme.
The event attracted over 400 network operators, government representatives, academics and civil society members from 32 countries; and it was the first meeting for Oscar Robles as the new LACNIC CEO.
- Paul Wilson presented the APNIC update on Wednesday, 20 May.
- Paul participated in two panels:
- A dedicated panel on the transition of stewardship of the IANA functions, which outlined the status of the proposals the different communities that have been developing for the transition of stewardship of the IANA functions. Video available here.
- A panel within the Internet Governance session, which provided an update on the current status of the Consolidated RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) Team’s proposal, and the development of the Service Level Agreement between ICANN and the RIRs. Video available here.
- A presentation by Fadi Chehadé, President and Chief Executive Officer of ICANN, shortly after he announced his resignation from ICANN. Watch his presentation here.
- Paul and Fadi met later in that day, with Oscar Robles, to discuss current ICANN issues including the IANA transition.
- The election of Ricardo Patara as the latest LACNIC appointment to the ASO Address Council.
Photographs of LACNIC 23 can be found here.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.