APNIC participated at ICANN 62 in Panama City, Panama from 25 to 28 June 2018.
The second of four meetings ICANN holds each year, ICANN 62 was focused on current policy development work, outreach, and opportunities to network with the community. APNIC met with ICANN community members, and followed ongoing discussions about policy implications and developments in response to new data privacy regulations.
- Paul Wilson was interviewed for a ‘History of ICANN’ video, where he spoke about the history of the NRO and the relationship of the RIRs and the Number Community with ICANN.
- Paul Wilson chaired a face-to-face meeting of the NRO EC where topics discussed included the ASO Review and the new data privacy regulations.
- The CEOs of the five RIRs met with the Chairman and CEO of ICANN to discuss their ongoing relationship via the ASO and future collaboration.
- Paul participated in the selection committee panel for the Multistakeholder Ethos Award and a ceremony was held in Panama to posthumously recognize a long-time member of the ICANN community, Stéphane Van Gelder.
- A meeting occurred with a member of a support group for the G7 economies, working on ways to preserve digital evidence, with further opportunity to collaborate in capacity-building efforts in the ASEAN region.
- On the question of data protection and privacy issues, APNIC supported the continuity of whois services, and also the importance of the policy development processes by the community.
- During the week of ICANN 62, APNIC integrated a response to the recent inquiry by the US government (NTIA), about international Internet policies.
The views expressed by the authors of this blog are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of APNIC. Please note a Code of Conduct applies to this blog.